Tuesday 12 March 2013

Teaser Tuesday: Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!  

Just One Day by Gayle Forman.

Just One Day - Dutton Children’s


When the sun shines, you let it shine on you. Snow is always waiting.
-- Chapter 5

And the people we pretend at, they’re already in us. That’s why we pretend them in the first place.
-- Chapter 24




I was recently wondering how people in general, myself included, meet new stories. Not in the sense of how you discover them and decide that you want to read them, but more considering how much you know about a book already before you even start it. This one for example, I had close to no information about beforehand. Apart from (and here it starts) that many of my friends like the author and that the book itself had received quite a bit of praise. Does that influence how I read (and like) it? And how does that compare to a book by an author I know quite well or a story that I have theorised about for ages before the publication date? I don’t think I’ll spoil you if I say that Gayle Foreman has a beautiful style of writing and that I would have literally read this in just one day if it weren’t for that pesky thing called outside world.

How much information do you collect about a book before you read it?

11 comments:

Beth said...

Interesting teasers. Here is my teaser for this week.

Unknown said...

I like these teasers. The cover looks nice as well.

My TT post.

The Readdicts said...

Beautiful teasers! I love Gayle Forman's writing style but I decide to wait till Just One Year comes out before diving into this one :)
here's our TT

Janhvi @ The Readdicts

Karen and Gerard said...

Interesting teasers. I generally don't know too much about a book before I read it, just usually an idea of what it is about.

Here's ours: http://www.ourstack.blogspot.com/2013/03/tuesday-teasers-3-this-week.html

Nash Nordin said...

Interesting teaser. I like the second best.

ai love books

The Book Rogue said...

I also heard alot of praise for this, that's why I gave it as a birthday present although I hadn't read it myself. BUT I'm planning on reading a Forman novel. Several, in fact. ;)
I know what you mean about expectations and how they influence how we read. I like selecting books by covers, and some of them are great while others are very disappointing. But the same thing happend while I chose a book by it's summary/blurb, not the cover. And I also got disappointed by books that friends recommended to me because I had totally different expectations for style, etc. It's pretty tricky, and well... I think that in the end, you can't say there's only one way to find a good book, and you can never be sure you're right about it beforehand.

Anonymous said...

Intriguing teasers!

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/03/teaser-tuesday_12.html

Zenia said...

Great teasers! Especially the first one .. so true! :-)
Thanks for sharing.
My Teaser Tuesday

i*Heart*BigBooks said...

thanks for sharing! I've been meaning to read this one.
Check out my Teaser Tuesday, featuring Unbroken by Melody Grace

Melissa O. said...

Interesting teasers... a lot of truth in that second one. Here's my TT post!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Both tidbits are full of wisdom. This sounds like a book I'd enjoy.
My teaser is from THE DAY AFTER YESTERDAY.

Post a Comment