Wednesday 1 May 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: Red by Alison Cherry

Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we’re eagerly anticipating.

This week’s can’t wait to read selection is
Red by Alison Cherry.
Publication Date: October 8th 2013

Red -
Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Felicity St. John has it all—loyal best friends, a hot guy, and artistic talent. And she’s right on track to win the Miss Scarlet pageant. Her perfect life is possible because of just one thing: her long, wavy, coppery red hair.

Having red hair is all that matters in Scarletville. Redheads hold all the power—and everybody knows it. That’s why Felicity is scared down to her roots when she receives an anonymous note:

I know your secret.

Because Felicity is a big fake. Her hair color comes straight out of a bottle. And if anyone discovered the truth, she’d be a social outcast faster than she could say "strawberry blond." Her mother would disown her, her friends would shun her, and her boyfriend would dump her. And forget about winning that pageant crown and the prize money that comes with it—money that would allow her to fulfill her dream of going to art school.

Felicity isn’t about to let someone blackmail her life away. But just how far is she willing to go to protect her red cred?
Synopsis form goodreads.com.

I'm fond of red hair since reading Anne of Green Gables years ago, which is one of my favourite classics and the reasons Red caught my eye. In Felicity's life, everything you can acomplish depends on your hair colour. So trying to be accepted into that society with the help of hair dye is understandable. But is it really worth it to not be your true self for society? And shouldn't her family and friends love her regardless, even without the red hair? Also, who's the blackmailer and what's the motivation? I like that mystery spin to the story and wonder what Felicty will do about it. Maybe it's time, she showed her true colours.

Which books are you waiting on this Wednesday? Leave us a comment.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This actually sounds good lol. I am also partial to red hair, being a 'semi' red head myself. (I was born strawberry blond) Now my hair is mostly an auburn color. My hubby still calls me a ginger though. Must be cause I have freckles lol!
Great pick :) [Sorry for small rant :P]
<3!
Beth | The Reading Vixens
Vixen's WoW
Enter our Spring Fling giveaway here :)

Natalie @Natflix&Books said...

I've been eyeing this book up for months. I love the cover and know I will most definitely pick it up when it comes out, but I can't help but wonder why everyone doesn't dye their hair red if it's an option. We'll see, I guess. Great pick!
My WoW

Richa said...

I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds awesome! Seems like a fun read :D I'm definitely adding this one to my TBR.

My WoW

Book Sake said...

The whole red hair clique reminds me of Heathers (if you haven't seen that movie...it's the original Mean Girls type film. Freaking love it.) That more than anything makes me want to read it...and being an...ahem...redhead!

- Jessica @ Book Sake

Post a Comment