Tuesday 29 April 2014

Teaser Tueasday: Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi.

Ignite me – Harper

I have to start over now; face the world alone again. I have to make one final choice: give up or go on.
So I get to my feet.
— Chapter 2

“If you’d seen the devastation the way that I did, you wouldn’t be saying such things. Hope will break your heart all over again.”
— Chapter 3



Let me get this out of the way first: I want these covers in high resolution poster size. I’d probably start to feel watched pretty soon, but I think they are amazing. I don’t necessarily think that they’re the perfect match for the story but they definitely animate you to pick up the book. Mission accomplished.
Now the book. I always need a few pages to get used to Juliette’s narrative voice, even if I only stop reading in between chapters ... which is one of the reasons that I finish these books in only a few sittings (the other is that it is a very compelling read that has you glued to the book). The narration is very stream of consciousness like or at least with very little filter. I haven’t yet come across crossed out parts, which were very prominent in the first book, but less so as the story progressed.
At the moment it’s all very angst-y and potentially involves a triangular shape thing, because I know more than the characters due to the novellas. (Side note: I’m not sure how I feel about this novellas to provide information pertinent to the main plot thing. On the one hand the more to read the better but on the other hand it seems to become a common/expected feature ... and it clearly favours the eReading community). These novellas also shed different light on characters and make you feel decidedly different about them. The reading experience is a completely different one if your sympathies are so severely influenced. I can say this quite confidently because I’m trying to reason the merits of a certain character with someone who hasn’t read the additional stories. It’s quite interesting, but at the moment also very frustrating for both of us.

What are your thoughts on eNovellas and the novella trend in general? Sound off in the comments and share your teasers along with your opinion.

4 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

I haven't read this series yet. I do like the enovellas if I have read the series They act as nice teasers if I haven't read the books yet too. My teasers this week comes from Royally Lost by Angie Stanton and A Creature of Moonlight by Rebecca Hahn. Happy reading!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

My opinion: Life is too short to read books that are frustrating and difficult! I hope the story is worth the effort.
My Teaser is from A SLIGHT CHANGE OF PLAN.

collettakay said...

I've been curious about this author. And, yep, always get to your feet!

I hope you can stop by and visit:

http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2014/04/teaser-tuesday-42914.html

Colletta

Anonymous said...

Intriguing teasers, enjoy!

Post a Comment