Tuesday 3 February 2015

Teaser Tuesday: The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black.

The Darkest Part of the Forest –
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Once, there was a girl who vowed she would save everyone in the world, but forgot herself.
— Chapter 21

Well fine, then. I could send you out to win my favor. Possibly on a quest involving bringing a large mug of coffee and a doughnut. Or the wholesale slaughter of all my enemies. I haven't decided which.
— Chapter 22




How is it already February? Anyone see where the first month of the year went? The good news is that finally a new Holly Black has arrived. Reader, I love it! (And I’m possibly going a little insane/Jane Eyre ... which is basically the same thing.) Holly Black has a way with words that repeatedly impresses me and never fails to throw in some slightly dark humour. Other authors might have put the first teaser earlier in the story to create suspense, but there is already enough foreshadowing there without spelling it out that it becomes really powerful where it is now.
I know quite a few people who needed time to appreciate this writing style and these kind of stories the author tells ... some are still in the process, I’m not giving up to convince them. If you haven’t read a book by Holly Black yet, this is a really good one to start.

Do you have an author you like that other people sometimes don’t immediately find access to, but you keep trying? Share experiences and teasers in the comments!

10 comments:

Vonnie said...

I love both of these teasers! The first one I can connect to while the second one makes me chuckle.

My TT

Unknown said...

Both are great. Thanks for sharing them. I want this one more than ever!

My TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/02/03/teaser-tuesdays-100-one-more-day-what-if-tommorrow-never-happens/

Anonymous said...

I've never tried this author, but you certainly make me think I should!

My TT this week is from one of Beaton's Hamish Macbeth mysteries: http://wp.me/pZnGI-iW

sherry fundin said...

Time is flying by. Your teasers make me feel this is one worth trying. Happy reading.
sherry @ fundinmental My TT

Lisa-Marie Jordan said...

Ooh, I love Holly Black! I will have to check this out! Cheers!

Unknown said...

Amazing teasers - insightful and giggle worthy respectively. I have seen this book around, but now I think I'd like to read it sooner than I originally planned.

My Teaser this week

Beth F said...

Love Holly Black! I need to track this one down.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Interesting Teasers. I hope the character decides on coffee and donuts!
My Tuesday post features SIX STRINGS.

Zed said...

I've seen this book on a few blogs but I wasn't sure whether I would like this book but the teasers have captured my interest.
Here's a link to mine:
http://welcome-to-zeds-thoughts.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/teaser-tuesday-3rd-feb-2015.html

Gill Edwards said...

I love Maureen Johnson's books and am hearing lots of good things about this one.
My one is here http://thebookmagpie.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/teaser-tuesdays.html

Post a Comment