Tuesday 10 November 2015

Teaser Tuesday: Dead of Winter by Kresley Cole

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of A Daily Rhythm.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Dead of Winter by Kresley Cole.

Dead of Winter –
Simon & Schuster


I take no actions that I wouldn’t publicly recount. If you can’t speak your deeds, then don’t do them.
— Chapter 27

In our first meeting, you skewered me with your sword. In other words: you started it.
— Chapter 29





Third book in the Arcana Chronicles ... and not a trilogy, which wasn’t unexpected, but the end still completely gutted me. Luckily for me I managed to wait this long to read this one so the next won’t be a year away. That would have been brutal and everyone already suffering has my complete sympathies.
Without spoiling the first two books there isn’t much to be said about the plot of this, but the more I think about it the more I love the fact that I completely changed my mind about several of the characters from when they were first introduced up until now. Usually this could be a sign of bad characterisation skills yet in this case it’s actually a great way of showing how first impressions and prejudices (in the story as well as introduced by tropes) can influence character perception. The author uses a very subtle way to shift these perceptions – or I at least thought so, because I can’t completely pinpoint when I started liking one character and mistrust another one. Or when I started caring so much for one (or two) of them that the last few pages turned me into a total mess.
I absolutely liked the news that this series will be at least five books (even if that means at least one and a half years of turmoil, but when am I not hanging from at least one cliff – not literally!). Not sure what to make of the movie/TV announcement though as I am growing more and more sceptical of the conversion of books I love into movies and the likes. Burnt child dreads the flame syndrome.

Are you currently hanging from a book series cliff? Or having feelings about book-to-screen adaptions? Share both or any along with your teasers in the comments.

4 comments:

Proxyfish @ Books by Proxy said...

Sounds intriguing! On book to movie adaptations: I really don't mind them at all, whether good or bad. Half the time having a little bit of the world I love on screen is better than none at all. And having a bad adaptation doesn't make a book any less good! My Teaser

Beth F said...

Sounds like a good series -- I like it when your opinion of the characters can change over the course of the series.

Literary Feline said...

I've read a few of Kresley Cole's novels and enjoyed them. I haven't read these books though, but your description of them has me wanting to give them a try. I really like the teasers you shared, especially the first one--I can get behind that one.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read Kresley Cole but your teaser is grabbing my interest. Thanks for sharing. Here's my teaser: http://wp.me/p4DMf0-115

Post a Comment