Tuesday 23 February 2016

Teaser Tuesday: Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of A Daily Rhythm.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard.

Glass Sword – HarperTeen

I fear being alone more than anything else. So why do I do this? Why do I push away the people I love? What is so very wrong with me?
— Chapter 18

I must believe enough for all of us. I must put up my mask again, and be the lightning girl they need. Mare can wait.
Dimly, I wonder if I’ll ever get the chance to be Mare again.
— Chapter 23


My reading mantra should be something along the lines of “Do not turn into a blubbering mess in public”... maybe I should choose different books for that. But then again, why would I want to read books that don’t make me feel? Therefore, blubbering mess it is!
This is the second book in this series and basically picks up where the cliffhanger from the first book left us. And from there on it becomes a big chase against just about everything and everyone. I can’t say much about what is going on without giving anything away and I think this book needs to be experienced with as little previous knowledge as possible. Otherwise you won’t be clutching at your armrest on the train only to realise that your stuffy seat neighbour actually had his arm resting there ... oops. (Served him right though, he was hogging the thing!) I’m not quite sure where my loyalties lie, I don’t even know if I’d support our main character. I certainly understand where she is coming from and I think there are worse options, but I’m not going to call her a heroine anytime soon. Neither am I going to do that for any of the other characters though. In this world it seems like you can only choose the path of least traumatic assaults on your conscience. No one is actually born a monster, but anyone can become monstrous in their choices and actions ... or their inaction. And I think this story is also great in making you think about the kind of monster someone is willing to become when faced with seemingly impossible choices.

The English language has this saying of being caught between a rock and a hard place. Have you been in such a situation and how did you decide between the two options? Share your thoughts and teasers in the comments.

8 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

Great teasers, we liked this book and did a teaser from it last week. Sounds like you're enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

Ah... I hadn't realised the second book was out - I did enjoy the first one. It sounds like this one really cranks up the pace! This is mine...
https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2016/02/23/teaser-tuesday-23rd-february-2016/

Majanka Verstraete said...

I just finished Red Queen last week and now I'm dying to start Glass Sword. I can't wait for my copy to arrive!


My TT post.

sherry fundin said...

I loved Red Queen and I need this one. :-)
sherry @ fundinmental My TT

Kathy Martin said...

I can't wait to read this one. Great teasers! My YA teaser this week comes from Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie. Happy reading!

abookaddict said...

I just got an email from my local library that The Red Queen is there and ready for me to pick up. Guess where I'll be going later today! After reading your teaser, I'm anxious to get this book read so I can move on to book 2. My teaser this week is from Anne Bishop's Written in Red. http://abookaddictsview.blogspot.com/2016/02/teaser-tuesday_23.html

Beth F said...

This one is high on my list ... based on your teasers, I guess I'd better get reading! I'm playing today too at Beth Fish Reads.

Book Loving Mommy said...

I just got The Red Queen and this one. I am excited to read them. My TT is here: http://booklovingmommy.blogspot.com/2016/02/teaser-tuesday-salt-to-sea-by-ruta.html

Post a Comment