Tuesday 26 April 2016

Teaser Tuesday: The Vast and Brutal Sea by Zoraida Córdova

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books And A Beat.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Vast and Brutal Sea by Zoraida Córdova.

The Vast and Brutal Sea –
Sourcebooks Fire

Except that he doesn’t worry enough, so I have to worry for both of us. Smooth seas means the storm has past, or is only just arriving.
— Chapter 15

By now I should be used to people trying to kill me.
But somehow, it always comes as a bit of a shock.
— Chapter 25





Merpeople and stories about them used to be my go-to fantasy folklore. The little mermaid (the original, not the Disney version) is one of the first stories I remember to ever make me cry when I was a child ... and I realise that in my still going back and wanting more there might be the foundation to why I love so many authors who live on their readers tears. So if you offer me a merpeople story with a halfway decent sounding plot, I’ll bite (sorry, not sorry about the pun, there will be more). I enjoyed the first two books in this series well enough as a quick and entertaining read and then I somehow lost sight of it when it came to the third book. It recently resurfaced on my reader (that thing is a black hole and I’m so very guilty of feeding it) and I was between books and could use a fun and quick comfort story. Squid was I wrong about the comforting part, there is quite a bit of rough seas and whirlpool turmoil in this final instalment, which brings the series to a satisfying and fitting close. I would have loved a little more introspective and maybe a little less action and fighting, but all in all it remains in my mind an enjoyable and fun series that I’ll recommend if you are asking for something with fantastical creatures and are not at all afraid of the deep sea. Water can be lovely and refreshing, but it can and will drown you if given the chance.

As I just confessed to forgetting about a book in a series ... has this happened to you? And did you pick it up at some point and dive right back in? Let’s hear from you in the comments along with your teasers!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this one sounds like fun! I enjoy a good merfolk tale, especially as I live very near to the sea... My TT this week is a new take on an old story. Have a great reading week:)

Anonymous said...

As for forgetting about a book in a series - ALLL the time! I don't like reading a whole series straight off, as I find myself locking into an author's foibles, so I prefer giving myself a break inbetween. As a result I regularly lose track of series that I love - I'm in the process of catching up with The Laundry Files by Charles Stross and George Mann's entertaining steampunk crime series Newbury & Hobbes Investigations - and I've promised myself a summer treat - catching up with C.J. Cherryh's wonderful Foreigner series:)

Kathy Martin said...

This sounds interesting. I'll have to look for the first books in the series before I try this one though. I really hate reading series out of order. My teaser this week comes from The Witch with No Name by Kim Harrison. Happy reading!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

My husband says he doesn't have to worry about anything because I worry enough for both of us! I can sure relate to whoever this character is talking about.
My Tuesday post features STELLA BAIN.

Book Loving Mommy said...

The first teaser sounds like my husband and me...he never worries and I always worry! Great teasers! Mine is here: http://booklovingmommy.blogspot.com/2016/04/teaser-tuesday-dont-you-cry-by-mary.html

Unknown said...

I'm always looking for more mermaid books. Love that cover too!

Here's My TT

Post a Comment