Tuesday 19 April 2016

Teaser Tuesday: The Winner’s Kiss by Marie Rutkoski

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books And A Beat.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Winner’s Kiss by Marie Rutkoski.

The Winner’s Kiss –
Bloomsbury

“Do you want me to stay?”
Kestrel wondered if every question is a way of putting yourself at the mercy of someone else. “It would cost you too much.”
— Chapter 17

“Now, it would be nice if information fell out of the sky. Given that it doesn’t, it is still nevertheless comforting that certain people do horrible things so that other people don’t have to. We should be grateful to such people. Or we should at least not ask questions when we don’t want answers.”.
— Chapter 22

The third and final book in a trilogy where I asked myself at the end of the second book how in the world this was ever supposed to end in something else than utter destruction. I’m not asking myself that anymore and I fear that this feeling of hope is also dangerous (I’m completely ruined by books in regards to the concept of hope, congratulations literature). There is a new character, who was introduced in the second book, whom I didn’t think I would like as more than an interesting secondary character, but now I find that I’m quite curious about this person and if there is ever to be a spin-off or extension of the story (given that the world isn’t blown to smithereens during the last 150 pages) the eastern prince would be a great choice ... hint hint.
If the author didn’t completely blow it in the final parts of the story, and I really doubt she did, this will be a worthy conclusion to a great trilogy that had all the political and personal intrigue and power games a reader could ask for, all set in an opulent alternative slightly historical seeming universe with quite a vibrant set of characters and story lines. I feel that this is one of the series I want to read more than once and figure out all the twists and turns and foreshadowing.

As I was reading I found that I maybe should have reread the previous book at least to some extent in order to remember the details, but then I thought that I’d probably reread the series after I finished and I had so many other books calling to me. Which option do you prefer? Rereading before a new book in a series publishes or rereading once all books are out? Share your opinions and teasers in the comments!

3 comments:

Beth F said...

I waited for this one to come out so I could read all three without waiting. :)

Kathy Martin said...

I have to read this one. I enjoyed the first two books. Today my YA teaser comes from the second book in a middle grade fantasy series - The Swarm Descends by Jacob Grey. Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an amazing read - is it after the style of Laini Taylor's 'Daughter of Smoke and Bone' trilogy? I definitely need to get hold of it. And... in answer to your question, I'm afraid I NEVER reread anything. So many books... so little time! However, as I either take notes or write a review on every book I read - I often reread those before starting a new book on an established series. Today, this is my offering - a military sci fi adventure...
https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2016/04/19/teaser-tuesday-19th-april-2016/

Post a Comment