Tuesday 17 May 2016

Teaser Tuesday: The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books And A Beat.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi.

The Star-Touched Queen –
St. Martin’s Griffin

Memory is a riddled thing. I would caution you from making promises you cannot keep.
— Chapter 11

“How do I curse them?” Wouldn’t be a useless skill to have, all things considered.
“Oh, I don’t know. You could set me on them?” Kamala smiled and her eyes flashed red.
I cringed. Horses should not smile.
— Chapter 21



Before I say anything about this book, let me vent one general grievance I have: Why is it that every time a specific type of tree is mentioned in a book chances are at about 80% that this tree species is a pine? Maybe I’m being ridiculous, but I feel haunted by pines. There are so many other lovely trees and if you absolutely need a coniferous type why not choose larch or fir or cedar for a change? Sorry, rant over.
Other than being the last book in a row with haunting pine trees, this was a really lovely story that provided a nice one-session-read for a gloomy afternoon. I really appreciated the interweaving of Greek mythology (which is played at but if you’re not a mythology geek you can still enjoy the story) with Indian folktales and culture. Though I would have liked a sort of glossary at the end about all the different types of Otherworld creatures. This is also blessedly a standalone with a planned companion, but if you want you can put the book aside and not miss anything because the plot is perfectly wrapped up in this one book.
I will admit that I enjoyed the second part of the book a little more where Kamala, the demon horse, enters the scene. She’s my secret hero of the book and if I ever own a horse again, I want her to be as spirited and witty as Kamala. Maybe without the flesh-eating tendencies, but I could work around that. The first half is nice and all, and I possibly wouldn’t sent Amar away if he came to rescue me from a forced fake marriage ceremony, but between his beautiful notions on justice and fate and Kamala’s crazy sharp wit and repartee there would be no contest.

If you had to choose between a sensuous, secretive love-interest and a quick-witted, loyal but possibly demonic best friend, what would you do? Share your choices and teasers in the comment.

4 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

I enjoyed this one too. My YA teaser this week comes from The Hunt by Megan Shepherd. Happy reading!

The Candid Cover said...

This is one of the most beautiful stories that I have read in a while. I love the quote that you chose, it is perfect! Enjoy!! :)

Here is my TT

Unknown said...

Kamala is a horse? Now you've really got me curious about this book!

My TT from The Fireman

Anonymous said...

I loved this one, too:). And yes - Kamala provided the necessary slice of light relief this enjoyable book needed. My TT this week isn't sci fi or fantasy for a change... https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/teaser-tuesday-17th-may-2016/

Post a Comment