Tuesday 30 August 2016

Teaser Tuesday: The Potion Diaries by Amy Alward

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books And A Beat.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

The Potion Diaries by Amy Alward.


The Potion Diaries –
Simon & Schuster UK

It takes more than a key to open a door, little girl. You have to know where the lock is too.
— Chapter 13

‘Eat, first. Finish your dinner. Then you can start making the world’s most sought after potion, okay, honey?’
I grin; my parents’ excitement is almost matching my own.
‘But, Sam – if you ever potion your grandfather again, you will be grounded for life, got it?’
I’m not going to argue with that.
— Chapter 19



To be completely honest with you I’ll have to confess that chemistry was among the first subjects in school that I gladly got rid of as soon as possible. Not because I didn’t find it fascinating to learn about all the parts that combine to make up other stuff, but because my teacher was incredibly uninspired (and in constant danger of putting us all to permanent sleep). This book is the complete opposite of sleep-inducing chemistry. Yes, there is the aspect of alchemy and mixing ingredients, yet there is also adventure, a fantastic treasure hunt, love, friendship, and not to forget the touch of crime/mystery. A really great and captivating mix. And in perfect timing on my part, the second book is already out (coming out 18th October if you’re in the US).

Which subject did you ditch in school as soon as possible? And have you since found a book reminding you of said subject and enjoyed it? Share thoughts and teasers in the comments!

2 comments:

sherry fundin said...

Sounds fun. I wouldn't mind making a potion or two for a few people I know.
sherry @ fundinmental My TT

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Sounds like a fun story with lots of entertaining components. I was bored to tears by World History. The teacher had droned on about the subject for years and years. I think even he was bored! Too bad. It could have been fascinating.
My Tuesday post features BROKEN PIECES

Post a Comment