Tuesday 11 October 2016

Teaser Tuesday: Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books And A Beat.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas.

Empire of Storms – Bloomsbury

Rolfe let out a low laugh. “The talk of young idealists and dreamers.”
“The world,” Aelin said, “will be saved and remade by the dreamers, Rolfe.”
— Chapter 28

Because she made a bad choice, trying to heal a wound she couldn’t ever mend. Trying to avenge the people she loved.
— Chapter 60



The best kind of books are those that leave you gasping for breath, clutching your poor shredded heart, and wondering how on earth black markings on paper are able to affect you so much. I thought I was prepared. I thought I had girded my metaphorical loins. I thought I could read this and emerge relatively unscathed. I was wrong. I had been warned and I had an inkling, but this book looked at my expectations and tore them to shreds like a wyvern (or seadragon) would a flimsy dinghy.
I don’t usually drop books and whisper “no, no, no” even if I figure out a heavy piece of foreshadowing in advance. Especially not in public. Yet Sarah J. Maas has already made me do this twice. Once I actually threw the book across the reading nook because it really ripped into me ... the writing is so immediate and gripping that you can almost feel and smell the place in addition to seeing it in your head.
Yes, there are issues, but show me the book that doesn’t have a single flaw and is perfect on every account of political correctness, representation, gender, plot holes, you name it ... and I will be probably half asleep by the second page because of it. There is such a thing as analysing a book to death and no book with such an impact deserves that. Critical reading yes, but slaughtering it for the sake of finding flaws no.
What does deserve analysis and praise are the development and direction this series has taken. With the first and second book it started out as a nice, well-written story about an easy to handle cast of characters that I cared for in varying degrees, but from the third and especially fourth book onwards the scope has become so much broader, the cast so much bigger and the overall impression so much deeper. You can clearly see how the author has grown with these books and at the same time (and that is something I truly admire) the foundation for all of this has always been present in the back-stories. I absolutely love how all of it is coming together and adding up. I love this series. Period. And I absolutely hate that it sure as daylight is going to break my heart in one way or another. Or in many ways actually.

Which author have you been following long enough to notice and appreciate their learning curve? Share them and your teasers in the comments!

3 comments:

sherry fundin said...

WOW. I can't think of one off the top of my coffeeless head. LOL But I sure do need to read Sarah Maas. That is a great recommendation. :-)
sherry @ fundinmental My TT

Unknown said...

Okay, I've been meaning to read this author. You've made it a must now! Holy cow!

My TT from PooP

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great read! Great recommendation.

Mine this week is from a cozy mystery: https://wp.me/p3Nz8P-Xl

Post a Comment