Tuesday 2 May 2017

Teaser Tuesday: Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia of The Purple Booker.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan.


Percy Jackson’s Greek Gods –
Disney Hyperion

Now, in modern times, we have a word for this sort of behavior. We call it psycho.
Back then, the rules of behavior were a lot looser. Maybe you’ll feel better about your own relatives, knowing that the first family in creation was also the first dysfunctional family.
— Chapter 1

Sisyphus’s problem was that he didn’t want to die.
I can relate to that. I wake up every morning and think: You know what would be good today? Not dying.
— Chapter 9


Today is the publication date of the next Rick Riordan Demigod book featuring Apollo. Time, I thought to brush up on my knowledge of Greek mythology. And once again I realise how much I actually miss Percy and the gang. Yes, Rick Riordan captures the voices of all his protagonists in a unique and entertaining way and I enjoy them a lot, but Percy was the first and I reserve the right to miss him and Annabeth and hope for more than just glimpses of them.
Anyway, this is a perfectly fine overview of the major Olympian pantheon with the tongue in cheek tone that is to be expected when this author is involved. If you’re already well-versed in Greek mythology, this book will not provide you with anything new, but that should not deter you if Percy’s voice is your thing. A perfect companion to the series. And the illustrations are a perfect fit. Seriously, picking the right illustrator for a story can make or break a book and here it is definitely the former.
Can I just say that the voices of accusing Riordan of milking a cash cow here are decidedly fewer than with other authors with multiple books in the same universe ... could it be because he is not a woman? Which is sort of funny if you read the book and discover the underlying narrative of feminism throughout the book. If you like writing in the same universe and there are readers for it (or even if there are not) by all means go for it!

Do you pay attention to the criticisms of your favourite authors or do you (try to) ignore it? Share your habits and teasers in the comments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read the first Percy Jackson, but none of the others - not because I didn't like it, but simply because I still haven't got around to it... Regarding those critics about my favourite authors - I work out where they are coming from and if they are relevant to me - if they don't, which is often the case THEN I ignore them:). Have a great reading week! My TT this week - http://www.teaandtitles.com/cover-theme-ttt/

Anonymous said...

...aaand ignore the above link, because it doesn't take you to my site! THIS is my link! https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2017/05/02/teaser-tuesday-2nd-may-2017/

Beth F said...

I love these books! I need to get the new one.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Sounds interesting but probably not for me. I did smile at the excerpts, however.
My Tuesday post features Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die.

Post a Comment