Tuesday 10 October 2017

Teaser Tuesday: Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Ambrosia of The Purple Booker.
To play along just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness.

Shadow of Night – Viking Penguin

The family never puts ‘surely’ and ‘Philippe’ in the same sentence. It always ends badly.
— Chapter 12

“But it’s so …”
“Messy? So is life. Stop trying to be perfect. Try being real for a change.”
— Chapter 37





There is an annual real-time reading for the All Souls trilogy, which is a brilliant idea to revisit this wonderful, dense, and overall impressive series. Each time I start, I try to pace myself and only read the so to say assigned chapters for the days and weeks. That works for about six days and then I suddenly … magically? … find myself way ahead of the schedule. Because no matter how well I remember the plot, at some point I simply have to read on. Or in this case listen on, as I opted for the audio version this year, which is also really well done. I have finished by now and realised that I never had a teaser from the second book, so here you go.
In addition, there is now a television series in the works and from the posts by the author herself I have a very good feeling about this. It’s certainly a good idea to have the author involved in this as much as possible seeing that she put so much research into the series to make it this rich and engrossing. Seriously, I can almost certainly promise that you have never read a book so vivid in its descriptions that you actually smell what is described. Maybe aside from Perfume, but that’s really not the point. It will be so interesting to see how this experience is translated to the screen.

Do you have books that you re-read regularly or other examples of times read-alongs? I’d love to know if there are other events organised this way. Share recommendations and teasers in the comments!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice teasers. Love the cover for this book too.

My TT from A Witchy Boxed Set

Nise' said...

Like both teases.

Laura said...

Good teasers! i haven't read that series yet, but I'm looking forward to it. My Teaser

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous cover - I haven't read anything from this author, but keeping hearing about her. I clearly need to track her down... Thank you for sharing. My TT this week is a humorous urban fantasy set in York - https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2017/10/10/teaser-tuesday-10th-october-2017/

Anonymous said...

Good teasers! I haven't heard of this series but will be checking it out. Have a great week!

Post a Comment